It is free, open sourced, cross platform, uses its own built in codecs and plays virtually every media format you can think of. Just give it a try and you will be glad you did. If you are using Ubuntu 9.04 or 8.10, the following steps will get it installed on your system.
1) Edit /etc/apt/sources.list file with this command at the terminal
2) Add the following line (Januty)
3) Save and exit.
4) Install GPG key with this command
5) Update your sources’ list with this command
6) Now install VLC with this command
7) Enjoy your VLC and digital media without sweat.